If you’re thinking about booking your very first yacht charter, there are a few things you will need to know before setting sail. .
Here are some boating tips that will ensure safe and happy travels of both you and your charter guests.
When booking a yacht charter it is important to know exactly how many guests you will be having. Prices can vary depending on the size of the yacht and the number of people. The best way to save money on a yacht charter is to invite as many paying guests as the yacht can comfortably occupy.
While it may not be necessary to buy a whole new wardrobe, unless you want to, you will need to pack a few key items to help make the most of your yachting experience. We recommend non-slip, closed-toe shoes (rubber soles are best) which will protect your feet in the event that the charter experiences strong waters.
Here are a few items you should bring on your journey:
- • Water-resistant backpack to keep things like medicine, gloves, sunglasses, and hair bands.
- • Swim shoes- These will help protect your feet and provide a non-slip grip when navigating the deck.
- • Hat- This will help protect your skin from the sun and also provide shade. Be sure to secure your hat with bobby pins when the winds pick up.
- • Waterproof Sunscreen- Your skin can easily become damaged or burned if you spend time in the sun without the proper protectant. Because you will be out on the water and may go for a swim it is best to pack water-resistant sunscreen.
- • Extra water bottles and a few snacks for a long day of fun!
For those who are unsure of how their bodies may react when on a boat in the water, we know how uncertain it can feel. Travel sickness is never fun, but there are certain things you can do to remedy the fatigue and dizzy side effects. Before stepping onto the boat, eat a little bit of ginger to soothe your stomach, and pack a few olives with you. Olives soak up the saliva in our mouths and can calm that nauseous feeling.
Here are a few other helpful remedies for motion sickness:
- Turn your smartphone off and other stimuli and focus on a fixed point.
- Do not sit backwards in the boat; sit facing the direction of travel.
- Refrain from reading while traveling.
- Use scopolamine. This medicine helps reduce the effect of motion sickness and comes in an easy-to-use patch which can be discreetly applied to the body.
Familiarize Yourself with Boat Terminology
When the boat is underway (that’s yacht talk for “moving”), it is important for staff and captain to communicate with each other so that the trip goes seamlessly. Even if you aren’t aware whether the boat is moving astern or someone is battening down the hatches, the staff will let you know what to do in specific scenarios if you decide to book a crewed charter yacht.
It’s a good idea to learn a few of these basic terms before your charter:
- • Bow: the front end of the boat.
- • Headway: forward moving direction of the boat.
- • Stern: the rear end of a boat.
- • Leeway: sideways moving direction of a boat.
- • Current: horizontal movement of water.
Blue Horizon Travel & Yacht Charters is a full-service travel agency that plans both domestic and international vacations. Our luxury yacht charters provide a custom experience, just for you! These charters book up quickly, so we suggest making your reservation at least 3 months in advance. Look through our selection of catamarans, monohulls, and small power yachts for a private charter experience!